Pictures · Search · Česky

The building project assigned by the developer – the Jewish Community of Prague – is being executed by HOCHTIEF VSB Division 1, Operation 5, under the supervision of Blahomír Donát. The proposed plan takes into account the reconstruction of the existing four-storey property in Vinohradská Street, Prague. The entire building will be altered, including converting the loft on the fourth floor and extending the first basement floor. In addition, a new three-storey accommodation wing is to be erected adjoining the present building, the site of which will be in a previously undeveloped part of the garden. Furthermore, a reception area and all necessary buried services will be put in place.

The care centre will provide residential accommodation for 60 people in 44 single and double rooms, including 15 immobile residents. The establishment will also be a day centre for external users providing food, physiotherapy, and other services.

The local kitchen will be able to serve 250 main meals per day, and social workers will distribute approximately 170 of them in a meals-on-wheels basis to older people in the catchment area. The Královské Vinohrady Teaching Hospital is to provide for those with special dietary needs. At request of the owner, the central kitchen will follow kosher guidelines, requiring meat and milk to be rigorously separated.

The entire care centre premises will feature disabled access so that the individuals can get around comfortably and without difficulty. Up to fifty employees will be on hand to provide care for the comfort and convenience of users during the day.

The edifice of the future care home was originally built as an old people’s home by the Israelite Religious Community in 1909. Viktor Kafka was both its architect and builder. Between the World Wars, the Hagibor (meaning hero in Hebrew) sport club used the premises. At the end of the WWII, it served as a detention and labour camp, as well as a gathering point prior to deportation to Terezín and other concentration camps. Following 1948, it was home to the Prague Královské Vinohrady Teaching Hospital. As recently as May 2006, it was a children’s hospital, which is now part of the Vinohrady Teaching Hospital.

The land lies within the Žižkov conservation zone. This means that trees and plants have a higher level of protection. Therefore, employees of the general contractor will treat the area with maximum respect and consideration to avoid any damage.